Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kristy Cates Interview

hey guys! so i recently got to interview the marvelous kristy cates. here it is!!!


1. Who are some of your favorite composers?
Ooh! Good first question! I have always loved the music of Maltby and Shire, Kander and Ebb, Jason Robert Brown, Andrew Lippa and of course, Stephen Schwartz. I am a big fan of Bonnie Raitt’s old school stuff, Billy Joel and Marc Broussard. I also have a lot of respect for the old jazz guys – Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Sammy Cahn – to name a few.

2. What are some of your favorite theatre shows?
Miss Saigon is the show that made me REALLY want to become a performer. I also adore a lot of the Sondheim stuff; Into the Woods in particular. Last 5 Years is definitely up there among my favorites – along with Lippa’s Wild Party. I also LOVED the plays August in Osage County and Side Man.

3. What do you like to do for fun?
Going to the movies, going out to dinner, bowling, walking my dog in the park, working out, SHOPPING! I also love to just chill at home and watch whatever is on my DVR!

4. What are some of your favorite songs to sing?
Ooh…I LOVE Spark of Creation from Children of Eden, Life of the Party from Wild Party, Who are you Now from Funny Girl, Vienna by Billy Joel, The I Love You Song from Spelling Bee, and anything jazzy! Oh the Wicked stuff, of course ☺

5. If you could play any male role, which role would you choose?
Chris from Miss Saigon….without a doubt!!!

6. Are you going to be returning to Wicked?
Maybe. ☺

7. Are you working on/ going to be working on a solo album any time soon?
A solo album take a lot of money and time – of which I don’t have right now! I would love to record an album someday…when it’s meant to be, it will be! Anyone out there want to produce it?! haha!

8. What interested you in musical theatre?
I have no idea! When I was a little girl I was obsessed with the album, Judy Garland Live at Carnegie Hall. Honestly, I had it memorized by age 8! I am the baby of 6 kids, and I just always loved to sing and do plays for my family. I can’t think of any moment in particular that was a definite jumping off point – but I will say that supportive parents and teachers are what kept me going!

9. What has been your favorite role so far?
That’s tough. I love so many of them for MANY different reasons. Honestly, it changes day to day. I will say that I played Jen in John and Jen in college and I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to play that role again someday.

10. What is your favorite thing about performing?
Expressing myself and sharing a story with not only the people on stage, but the people in the audience. Wicked audiences are probably the best audiences around….and every single performance was for the people sitting there and experiencing the story for the first (or 100th) time! I love to be part of something that makes people think….and evaluate…and maybe walk out of the theatre a little nicer….better…inspired.

11. What is your dream role?
I was actually cast as Evita a few years back, but had to turn down the role due to a scheduling conflict. I was so upset! I would LOVE to play that role someday. I would also love to do something in Wild Party…and Mama Rose somewhere down the line as well.

12. Do you ever consider performing across country?
I don’t know what this means….a tour? Sure why not?!!?!?

13. What are some recommendations or tips for people goinginto musical theatre?
WORK HARD and DON’T GIVE UP. Honestly, let every lesson, class, audition and performance make you BETTER. Listen to constructive criticism and being willing to work harder and smarter than your “competition”. And DON'T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY.

14. What is the funniest moment you’ve had whileperforming?
I can’t think of one thing in particular – but I will say that performing for children is ALWAYS funny. Kids are so uninhibited. They shout out whatever they are feeling. And once I get the giggles, it’s VERY hard to stop. HAHAH!

15. Favorite thing about St. Louis?
Emery Entertainment; the producers of Unbeatable! They treated me great and were really fun people to hang out with. It’s a great city and I look forward to working there again someday! And all my friends that came to see the show...some drove up to 10 hours. Thanks guys!

16. Who is some of your biggest support?
Definitely my family and my friends….and my teachers and students. I also have a lot of “fans” that have become great friends. I am grateful for their constant support on any project I do. I am lucky girl!

17. Do you have a personal record for "getting green"?
There was one day that neither the makeup person NOR his back up person, showed up until 5 minutes before curtain!!! I painted myself in like 10 minutes! It wasn’t cute, but it worked!

18. Favorite thing about wicked?
The music, the journey, the fans!

19. What are some major factors that you took intoconsideration for choosing a college to pursue musical theatre?
I wanted a program that had a good reputation, strong teachers and a high success rate. A director told me that if I wanted to “make it” in this business, I HAD to go to CCM. I flew to Cincinnati, fell in love with the program, and the rest is history!

20. Do you ever get overwhelmed with your career?
There are days when I leave the apartment at 9am and don’t get back til midnight. In that day I may have a theatre audition, a voice over, a class and a coaching…maybe a concert that night. There are individual days that overwhelm me, but it’s never that bad. I am doing what I love! And getting paid for it! YAY!

21. What are some ways you relieve stress?
I treat myself to massages, mani/pedi’s, a new pair of shoes and a glass of wine. I also try to surround myself with people that make me laugh. Nothing relieves stress like a good, genuine laugh.

22. Favorite Wicked memory?
Going on as Elphaba for the first time on Broadway. I was SO nervous but excited. I said a prayer, calmed myself down, and just tried to enjoy the moment. It was more wonderful than I ever dreamed it would be.

23. Favorite Unbeatable memory?
I became REALLY close with the woman who played my best friend...her name is Charity Dawson (and she's gonna be a HUGE star). My time off stage at the apartment we shared AND the support I got from her onstage, were both VERY special to me. She made me laugh SO much. We watched Golden Girls NON-STOP! Hahah!

24. Do you have any new projects coming up?
Lots of fun stuff but I can’t really talk about it now. Check my website!

25. Any plans on going to Broadway?
I certainly wouldn’t be against it. There aren’t a lot of roles on Broadway right now that are perfect for me…but we shall see!

26. Describe your theatre experience in 5 words.
Exhilarating, unpredictable, fulfilling, thought-provoking and grateful.

27. Bobby Cronin says he LOVES working with you!!!
Love YOU, Bobby Cronin!

No comments:

Post a Comment